Benefits + 10 Uses for Grapefruit Essential Oil
Last Updated on
I probably say this about every oil, but grapefruit essential oil is truly one of my favorites! I’ve used this oil daily for over a year, from cleaning to diffusing with it, I can honestly say that this is an oil I almost always have 2 or 3 of at all times.
Grapefruit essential oil is created by cold-pressing the rind of the grapefruit to extract the oil. Grapefruit oil’s properties together have a huge appeal to anyone working to lose weight. Grapefruit tastes great and the essential oil has a wide variety of healthy options.
Some of the primary benefits of Grapefruit essential oil include:
1. It supports a healthy metabolism. By stimulating endocrine glands and promoting proper secretion of hormones and enzymes, thereby keeping your body’s entire metabolism in proper order.
2. It helps to reduce mental and physical fatigue.
3. One of the most recognized benefits of grapefruit essential oil and other citrus oils is their positive effect on the lymphatic system, which plays a role in your body’s detoxification mechanism.
4. With vitamin C and its antioxidants, grapefruit essential oil can support your immune system and helps fight free radicals.
Top Ten Uses for Grapefruit Essential Oil
- Make Grapefruit essential oil a regular part of your morning supplement routine by adding 2 drops under your tongue.
- Grapefruit oil is especially helpful to help eliminate head tension caused by stress and fatigue. Try applying the oil topically on your temples and back of the neck, or add 2-3 drops to your diffuser and diffuse as you relax.
- It is helpful as a massage oil to help relieve occasional discomforts related to your monthly menstrual cycle. Apply 2 diluted drops to the lower abdomen, and cover with a heating pad or hot compress.
- Grapefruit helps to balance progesterone. When our bodies are under stress cortisol inhibits our production of progesterone; grapefruit prevents cortisol from blocking progesterone production.
Weight Management Support:
- Grapefruit oil is effective for those wanting to lose weight. It prevents bloating, water retention, and dissolves fat. It helps the body break down fatty acids and use them for energy. Make a refreshing drink by adding 2-3 drops of Grapefruit essential oil to a glass of drinking water to flush out toxins before breakfast in the morning.
- Grapefruit oil can help to curb cravings and emotional eating or binge eating and suppress your appetite. You can apply 1-2 drops mixed with a carrier oil topically over the stomach or back of your neck, or you can inhale from the bottle for an aromatic effect. You can also add 2 drops to a veggie capsule and take each morning.
- It is effective in reducing water retention for many people. You can add several drops to water and drink it to stimulate the body’s expulsion process. You can also mix 1-2 drops with a carrier oil and massage gently over the area and toward the heart.
- It has been shown to be helpful in lessening the effects of cellulite. Mix 1-2 drops with coconut oil and massage into the body in a kneading pattern every evening.
- Make a refreshing warm bath by adding a few drops of Grapefruit oil along with a few drops of Wild Orange and Sandalwood oil and a cup of apple cider vinegar. Be sure to use your hands to disperse the oils over your body, and try soaking for 20-30 minutes.
- It can be used as a hair tonic to eliminate oily hair and to promote shiny, healthy hair. Add 2-3 drops to your favorite shampoo, or make your own shampoo using Grapefruit essential oil. (I do this a lot!)
Bonus tip: You can create your own household cleaner by adding 5-6 drops to a quart of distilled water. Keep in a dark colored, glass spray bottle. Shake well before using.
*Avoid sunlight or UV rays for up to 12 hours after applying Grapefruit.