10 Lemon Essential Oil Uses for Cleaning
Last Updated on
Having a clean home is one of the best ways I’ve found that keeps my sanity in check. Cleaning is one of the ways that I decompress from a stressful day or situation. There’s something about zoning into the process that is super calming for me.
What I don’t love so much though, are all of the chemicals that are in everyday home cleaners. They dry out my skin, leave a weird film that doesn’t ever seem to go away, and I never feel like I’ve done a good job when I use them.
Thankfully though, I don’t have to worry about any of that anymore. I have switched all of my cleaning products over to essential oils. From general purpose cleaning to laundry, oils have replaced all of the toxins and nasty chemicals.
My favorite oil out of all the ones I use for cleaning is lemon oil. I think it’s perfect for everything from countertops to bathroom cleaning. I adda couple of drops to laundry for a fresh scent, and I concoct a recipe that has lemon oil in it for cleaning my floors too. It’s perfect for so many uses.
10 ways that I use lemon oil to keep my house fresh
1. Microwave—Microwaves are notorious for being tough to clean, especially after mishaps involving spaghetti sauce or tomato soup. To ease the pain of cleaning, simply microwave a cup filled with water and a few drops of Lemon, then wipe clean!
2. Dishwasher—Pour distilled vinegar into a dish and add 5–10 drops of Lemon oil. Place this dish in your empty dishwasher and run on high.
3. Stove Top—Lemon oil makes cleaning one of the dirtiest areas of the kitchen easy. Add vinegar and Lemon to a spray bottle, and watch the grime disappear!
4. Appliances—From dust to greasy food spills, appliances collect more dirt than you might think. A simple solution of Lemon oil, water, and vinegar will help you clean toasters, refrigerators, mixers, and more.
5. Garbage disposal—If you’ve been smelling something funky coming from your sink, it might be time to clean the garbage disposal. This DIY for Lemon disposal refreshers should help!
6. Ceiling Fan—Fan blades collect dust at turbo speeds and cling to them for as long as you let them. To avoid choking on dust bunnies while cleaning your ceiling fans, spray the inside of an old pillow case with a Lemon/water mixture and loop the fabric around each blade.
7. Washing Machine—Run a mixture of Lemon oil, baking soda, vinegar, and water through your empty machine on the hottest setting to break up dirt build-up and mildew. Scrub any excess with a sponge, then run the machine again with fresh water.
8. Trash Cans—Regularly cleaning out trash cans can eliminate odor. For indoor trash cans, spray the inside and outside of each can with a mixture of water, Lemon oil, and vinegar, then scrub with a sponge.
9. Windows and Windowsills—The same mixture of Lemon oil, water, and vinegar in a spray bottle that you’ve been using all around the house will do wonders for your windows and windowsills. Simply spray glass and wipe with a clean cloth or paper towel, then move onto ledges and sills with a toothbrush or damp sponge.
10. Air Vents—One of the most overlooked areas to keep clean in your home is the air you breathe! Clean vents with a sponge dipped in warm water, vinegar and Lemon oil to help eliminate allergens and dust from filling the air around you.
It is such a powerful oil! Give it a try and let me know your favorite way to use lemon essential oil in your cleaning routine.