Lemongrass Essential Oil: Benefits + 10 Uses
Last Updated on
When I was first introduced to Lemongrass essential oil, I will admit, I was taken aback by how powerful this oil is – I wasn’t sure it would make a regular rotation into my daily oil routine. Fast forward a month later, and I swear I reach for this oil at least 3 times a week. It’s a favorite now in our home.
They say that if you have a strong reaction to a particular oil, it’s probably the one you need the most. What makes this oil so powerful? Let’s take a look:
Primary Benefits of Lemongrass
- It supports healthy digestion
- It soothes muscular discomfort
- It purifies and tones skin
- It relieves head and neck tension and promotes healthy body temperatures.
- Lemongrass oil is better than many of the synthetic deodorants that are a big expense, a heavy impact on the environment, and have limited lasting power.
If you have sensitive skin, it may create a rash so dilute. It is not recommended for children or nursing mothers. Because lemongrass can stimulate blood flow, pregnant women should use extreme caution.
Top Ten Uses for Lemongrass Essential Oil
1. Lemongrass has wonderful skin regeneration properties. It can be added to shampoos, conditioners, deodorants, and lotions.
2. To help soothe sore joints or muscles. Combine equal parts Fractionated Coconut oil (or another carrier oil) and Lemongrass and rub topically on the area of concern. (Add Frankincense and Marjoram for a more powerful combination!)
3. It is a natural bug repellent for insects like mosquitoes and ants. It can be sprayed, diluted in a carrier oil, directly on the skin. It can even be used to control fleas; add about 5 drops to water and create your own spray to protect your pet’s coat.
5. It can be used in your household products. Try putting a few drops on a dust cloth and then wipe down the wood in your house.
6. It is a natural insect repellent and pest control. Rub or spritz some lemongrass on your skin before going outside.
7. It can be used to detoxify your body. Make your own detoxifying lemongrass tea by adding 2-3 drops to your favorite tea.
8. You can make a refreshing foot bath by adding 2 drops of Lemongrass Oil and 2 tablespoons of Epsom salts to warm water and soak your feet for 10 minutes.
9. Lemongrass oil is a valuable oil to use in aromatherapy. Its clean and calming aroma can reduce sad and anxious feelings, relieve restlessness and occasional sleeplessness, and helps you to relax.
10. Try adding 3-4 drops to your diffuser and diffuse for one hour before bedtime. Good for removing negative energy. (for extra sleep support add lavender or serenity).
As you can see, lemongrass essential oil is pretty darn amazing! I’d like to know from you what you are most surprised about this oil, and if you would incorporate it into your oil routine. Leave me a comment and let me know!